Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm Hooked!



Since December I've been exploring the craft of crochet. It started with just the need to do something with my hands. I saw a "Teach yourself to crochet" kit on sale at Michael's and dove in! It's in the genes you see. My mom has been a crocheter since before I was born. She makes the most amazing afghans! I remember a small stuffed bear she made for me as a child named John Bear.

So I bought some cheap yarn and grabbed my hooks and went to work. I learned single crochet, double crochet and half double crochet. I tackled popcorn stitches and broom stick stitches. The month of January I made and gave away a dozen or so hats!

AND THEN I found a great book called Tiny Yarn Animals by Tamie Snow. They were so cute and funky I had to give it a try. Later I realized I had become a fan of the Japanese art form called Amigurumi.

Amigurumi is the art of crocheting animals and figures. The patterns call for crocheting in the round, or in a spiral, adding and decreasing stitches to create forms, stuff and add detail, and voila! So much fun, not to mention a quick and cute project.

I have since acquired Mr Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful (thanks to my MIL!) and have expanded!

So yes I have entered a new area of geekdom! I am a yarn geek!

Check out all my creations on Facebook

1 comment:

Jenny Williams said...

Awesome. Crocheting is fun! I always had trouble knitting, just couldn't do it, felt like a spaz. But I have no trouble with crochet. Neat things you've made!