Friday, November 14, 2008

A Book Lover in the Making

At the Village Market tonight I meet a great 10 year old. He was helping his mom, another vendor, set up but then had very little to do during the market.
While he was browsing my display I suggested several titles, Little Leap Forward, Barefoot Book of Pirates. He was drawn to The Boy Who Grew Flowers and settled in on my rug to read it. Mom commented that his teacher wanted him to read at a higher level and he was always choosing picture books below his reading level. I pointed out that just because these books had pictures didn't mean they were below his level. Next he picked up the Barefoot Book of Monsters, and didn't put it down.
The next thing I knew he was counting his money in his wallet to buy it! He read all evening, camped out on the rug!
Mom was ecstatic! She had never seen him read like that!
Next they want to buy some books for his little sister and their teachers!

No comments: