Thursday, June 3, 2010

Organs Should Be Happy

In September 1990 I walked in to my very first college dorm room. A very cute hat was already hanging from the end of one of the beds and I burst out with "Hey, you like hats, too!" OK so I wasn't the smoothest 18 year old around. But my new roomie was fine with that. Her name is Jen (Hey, my name is Jen, too!) and we became very fast, very close friends. We would sit on the floor and color, make midnight runs to the local gas station for snacks and yell out the window to cute boys below.
I think she told me about her diabetes on the first day, its hard to hide with the insulin and stuff. I really didn't care. She accepted me for who I was and I accepted her completely! As her health challenges have evolved over the years I keep her in my mind and heart and prayers.
Of course our lives have changed in other ways and now we are not geographically close at all. But there is this little piece of me that wants to be back on "The Hill" coloring and yelling out the window.
Right now my Jen is in Indianapolis waiting for kidney and pancreas transplants. This process is expensive! And so I am doing my little bit to help. Jen once told me, "Organs should be happy!" So I present to you A Happy Kidney! All proceeds go to Jen and her family. If you can't order one, please share the link with your friends!

No comments: