Thursday, May 7, 2009

Simple Gifts


Have I been a little introspective lately? Yeah a bit. It's hard not to look around and sigh at all the changes happening to this family. Then something cool happens, like my first clematis bloomed! Hooray!

For weeks I have found myself humming the tune to Simple Gifts, an old Shaker song. We often sing it at church and of course it has found renewed fame as being a major theme in the John Williams Composition Air and Simple Gifts performed at the inauguration of President Obama.

Although this was written in 1797, the lyrics give me quite a bit of comfort. I hope you like them, too!

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,

'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,

And when we find ourselves in the place just right,

'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain'd,

To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,

To turn, turn will be our delight,

Till by turning, turning we come out right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Weird -- I suddenly found that song stuck in my head a few days ago... hadn't heard it since the inauguration, and it was years since the time before that.