Wednesday, May 6, 2009

PURGE!

While we have no idea where our heads will rest once we leave this house, we know that we WILL be leaving this house and moving to a new one by the end of the month. Moving everything that has accumulated in the past 5 years is a daunting task and so I am using this opportunity to PURGE!
As we pack, pull books off of shelves, clean out closets and cabinets and drawers we are sorting things out and making some tough decisions! Items are being sorted into three categories: Keep/Move, Toss, Sell/Donate.

Keep/Move: Obviously the largest section, I try to go through this pile a couple extra times to make sure I really want the stuff in there! There are definitely things that are forever needed...kitchen items, towels, clothing, photographs, and of course favorite loveys, blankies and toys! There are days when I wish could dump everything and start over from scratch, but that is not exactly practical.

Toss: The trash men are starting to HATE me. I have piled up bags and boxes of old magazines, incomplete puzzles, broken toys, and stale herbs and spices! It's important to make sure trash is bagged, some people will disagree about what should be sent off to the landfill! Usually well behaved husbands and children will begin picking through the trash if they suspect their favorite rock, slip of paper, or torn, stained t-shirt is in there!

Sell/Donate: Another dangerous category if you live with pack rats. I have taken the precaution of shipping my children off to Grandma's house the night before our upcoming yard sale. I learned my lesson at the last yard sale when the children had an absolute fit as an innocent stranger walked away with two wooden flutes that I was so happy to see go! So what is ready to be tagged this time? Books, toys, a recliner, a mini fridge, toy box, CDs, DVDs and a whole lot more. But shhhhh don't tell my family! At the end of the sale all left overs will be donated to local charities.

I have to admit, the process feel really good. Throughout this really exhausting and depressing event in our lives it's nice to lighten the load a bit.

No comments: