Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Care.com Challange

It’s happened to all of us at some point, whether you are at the playground, school function or on a flight, someone makes a rude comment about your parenting style. They may think they are being helpful, but they are really just overstepping their bounds and making things worse! It could be “can’t you get him/her to quiet down” or “you let him/her eat that?” or “little Johnny, tell your mommy it’s cold outside and you should be wearing a hat…” as you are standing right there! There are millions of them and our friends at Care.com want to hear from you. So, they have developed a fun contest for TwitterMoms, designed around this question that all moms can all relate too:

What’s the rudest comment from a stranger you have ever gotten about your parenting style?

So many come to mind but the one that sticks is from when my son was just 2 years old. At a brand new play group, the hostess mom made a snack of PB and J sandwiches. We had just found out that my son could be allergic to peanuts. As he approached the table and reached for a sandwich I dove in and stopped him and politely asked the hostess if I could make him a just Jelly sandwich. Another mom proceeded to make fun of me in the other room to the rest of the group. Talking about how I had completely over-reacted, should just let the kid eat and this is what is wrong with parents these days and why kids get so many allergies.
I went into full Mama Lion mode! Gave her a piece of my mind and a little education about allergies, too!!

Read some other AWESOME stories on Twitter Moms!

About Care.com:

Care.com helps families across the country find trustworthy babysitters and nannies for their kids (including children with special needs). We also help moms connect to home care for seniors, pet care, tutors and teachers, and housekeepers -- everything you need to care for your loved ones and home.

Find the best babysitter, nanny, or other caregiver by reviewing profiles of care providers in your area, running free background checks, and checking references. To ensure the quality of our caregivers, our team of working-at-home moms pre-screens all caregiver profiles before we allow them into the Care.com community.

Find babysitters, nannies, and other great caregivers near you by searching on Care.comtoday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I'm reading everyone else's great entries and I'm upset because people have just not been rude enough to me. :-)

Jennifer (JJ) Blum said...

I just remembered a story about a friend of mine.

We've all been there, out at the Mall with two small children. Stop for lunch. 2 year old eats nuggets, fries, juice, Baby nurses. 30 minutes later the baby.....poops! Its only natural, right? Leaving anyway, Lets just change him in the car. Strap the 2 year old in. Go around to the trunk and take out the diaper bag. Lie the kid down on the floor of the trunk and start to change him. Normal right??
All of the sudden, a cruiser pulls up. Lights and siren going full blast. Someone had called the police and reported a woman putting her baby in the trunk. The cop was quite serious and informed my friend that this was "...not a joke!"
can you imagine?

Anonymous said...

Hmm..I've had one or two..
I adopted my first child, and had several other moms (not people I knew) comment "I hope thats breastmilk in that bottle."

Anonymous said...

I'm a dad, not stay-at-home, primary caregiver of two boys. You would not believe how much flak I get. For example, hugging then 4-year-old, now 8-year-old, in a restaurant one day, two guys sitting over the in corner loudly remarking on how I was "gonna make him a pansy or a [rhymes with flag.]"

You wouldn't believe how much stuff I hear, just for being involved in the boys' lives.