Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Challenge Begins...

... Or maybe it is just continuing? I sure know it's not come to an end!

Without too many details, for the first time since we began our realtionship with this school system, we have had a "holiday issue" at school. On a half day, hours of Christmas videos and stories! And its only December 9th!

And so my message to the school is this: "As an interfaith family it is extremely difficult to maintain balance this time of year."

Message received, teacher has apologized!

If you are shaking your head and just not getting why this is so hard for our family, maybe reading this blog post by my husband will help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try having a super-Catholic teacher in a very Catholic town where a kid is interfaith. Getting sort of sick of being the token half-Jewish kid's mom who sends in the menorah every year and the teachers treat it as a quaint display of another culture... Brought it up at the bus stop one day and another parent (who is of course Catholic) said "Well at least the kids learn about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa in school!" Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I am sure the kids who celebrate Kwanzaa in this town (how about NONE!) appreciate that. And singing a Hanukkah song at a winter concert after Rudolph does not count as being multi-cultural... Ironically I thought Boston would be MORE inclusive than where I grew up in the Midwest, and sadly I find the towns around me LESS so. People I grew up with were simply ignorant because they rarely spent time with anyone of another culture, general religion, etc. Here people are exposed to other cultures and it doesn't matter anyway...